Elder Law Attorney in Spanish Fort, Alabama
An Advanced Directive for Health Care is a type of estate planning document that consists of both a living will and health care proxy.
- A Living Will is a document that that establishes a patient’s wishes concerning life saving treatment should the patient become incapacitated or otherwise unable to speak for themselves.
- A Health Care Proxy gives another person the power to make important health care decisions for the patient should they become incapacitated or otherwise unable to speak for themselves.
- A Health Care Proxy’s authority is limited only to decisions regarding medical care in the event that you become incapacitated. Other decisions, including financial, business, etc. would be handled through a Power of Attorney, a separate estate planning tool.
Advantages of an Advanced Directive for Health Care
- Peace of mind knowing that your wishes concerning end of life treatment will be executed nd put into effect
- The burden in deciding whether to undergo certain medical treatment is not left to your spouse or next of kin.
- Doctors and hospitals are legally bound to follow the instruction left by the patient’s Advanced Directive for Health Care.
Contact an Elder Law Attorney in Spanish Fort, Alabama
We are proud to have earned our clients’ trust through through transparency, hard work and attention to detail. For over five years, Brennan R. Clifton, Attorney at Law, has been a trusted elder law attorney serving Mobile, Alabama and the surrounding areas. Call or text us at 251-422-6417 to speak with us today.